Well, to start my disaappointment - I wasn't given a suite. I have stayed at many Embassy Suites and have never seen a room like this. It seemed to have angeled walls - even though I wasn't on a corner. The size of the room was more or less like any other hotel's typical room, but again it had a weird feel with the angled walls.
In addition to the strange room set-up, here are the other things that made this stay less than acceptable:
- The T.V. was not at the foot of the bed like a normal hotel room - instead it was to the right side of the bed.
- The cleaning crew left a used bar of soap in the shower.
- When I woke up the first morning to make coffee - there was no cream. I only use cream - and without it I won't drink coffee - especially the kind you make in your hotel room. So I left a message for the maid asking for cream. She/he never left any even with the note.
- The heating/cooling fan was so loud it sounded like an airplane engine. When I called for my wake-up call - I suggested they have engineering look at it. The front desk clerk was very pleasant and apologized. But of course the next day nothing had been done - and I'm sure it's because nothing could be done. My boss was also staying at this same hotel with me - she had the same issue with the fan - too loud.
- And speaking of wake-up calls, I asked for 1 wake-up call and a reminder call 15 minutes later. Never got the second call - I was reallly irritated about that. I called the front desk when I woke up 30 minutes later than desired - got a nice apology and that was that. However the next night when I called for a wake up, I questioned the guy at the front desk to ensure it's something they can handle. He provided a more satisfactory answer - saying that the night guy was new and probably didn't realize that the second call had to be sent manually, and that he'd take care of it. Which he did - got two calls the next morning.
Overall, this hotel earns a thumbs down from me. I'll be staying someplace else next time I'm in the area.
There may be multiple Embassy Suites in Overland Park - this one is at 10601 Metcalf Avenue.